William H.A. Willbond MSM, CD


A Regiment was disbanded and a private went to jail
It’s been fifteen long years of tipping the injustice scale
The charges are dropped now because Cpl Matchee is ill
He is only three years old and he has no free will

His long suffering Mother Celine, she stood by his side
She fought for Clayton’s rights-as he remained untried
They put his murder pictures in the Canadian War Museum
Matchee he was hung, and by the world he was seen

Trooper Brown got five years –he’s a scapegoat I fear
The Regiment had to lay up Her Colours in tears
The investigation it stopped near the folks at the top
Lt.Col. Mathieu retired and some folks they got fired

Off to the UN and a list of good patronage paying jobs
Went our head shed big leader our own Telflon Bob
Then failed field leader, our own Colonel Serge Labbe
Was posted far overseas and was hidden away

Labbe went to ND Headquarters just the other day
Promoted to Brigadier General with years of back pay
And that folks is justice? What does it really all mean?
Has justice been served? Has justice been seen?


CanWest News Service: September 16, 2008

OTTAWA – The Canadian Forces have dismissed charges against a former soldier who was accused of brutally torturing and killing a Somali teenager 15 years ago during a deployment of Canadian peacekeepers in Somalia, the Department of National Defence said yesterday.

Master Cpl. Clayton Darrell Matchee of Saskatchewan was charged with one count of torture and one count of murder after a photo surfaced showing him posing over the young teen’s bloodied body. A videotape showing Canadian soldiers giving a Nazi salute and making racial slurs also shocked the nation.

Sixteen-year-old Shidane Abukar Arone died in 1993, after being caught on the compound of Canada’s military installation in Somalia, allegedly while trying to steal supplies.

“It’s over. It’s been 15 years and it’s finally over,” Matchee’s mother, Celine, told CanWest News Service yesterday. “I’ve spent so long standing beside my son and fighting for him.”

The charges against Matchee have been outstanding for the last 15 years.

In 1994, the former corporal attempted suicide by hanging himself. He suffered extensive brain damage.

Experts say he will never recover from his injuries and now has the mental capacity of a three-year-old.

The decision to withdraw the charges in this case was based on public interest considerations. These included the fact that Mr. Matchee has a permanent brain injury,” Lt.Col. Bruce MacGregor, deputy director of military prosecutions, said in a news release.